03 October, 2012

Pin up Sailor Swimsuit by the pool

This is my last instalment of posts from my lovely trip to Spain in August (we travelled to Cartagena for a friend's wedding). The weather was perfect, not too hot, not to cold so a swim was in order . . .

As I have a curvy figure and pale complexion I have to put a little effort into assembling a swimming outfit - I can't just pick a bikini off the rack and hope it will look OK! I had decided on a nautical theme for my outfits so I hunted down this fantastic retro swimsuit on etsy (thank you Heather from The Red Dolly!). I like the fact that it is stripy on the top and navy on the bottom which I think may be more flattering for my type of figure. I am glad I didn't go with my original plan, which was striped all over. I had ummed and ahhed about whether to get an original 50s swimsuit or replica, but the originals tend to be expensive and you can run into problems with elastic that has wasted away and so on. I am very glad that I bought this replica - it is made of good quality fabric and fits like a glove.


We stayed at a place called 'Roda Golf and Beach resort' near Murcia in Spain. The pool was lovely and clean and the accommodation is very reasonable. However, the 'beach resort' is actually 40 kms away (a bit of poetic licence used in the brochure I think!).


Its a pity that I had to ruin the look by actually getting in the pool and swimming. It didn't do my red lipstick any favours I can tell you (I ended up with red smear all over my face, which my 8 year old daughter found very hilarious).

Good luck with finding your favourite swimsuit this summer season (that applies to my Australian friends, my US and European followers will have to wait a bit longer for summer I'm afraid!).


Outfit details:

Vintage swimsuit Pin Up Sailor Retro swimsuit– Heather at The Red Dolly

Swimwear cover up etsy

Vintage red parasol – the lovely Maura Bee at etsy Maura Bee

Sunglasses: Accessorize (Dublin, also available in the UK)

Red wedge shoes - a shoe shop on Henry Street, Dublin


7 comments:

  1. You look smashing! can't go wrong with a nautical theme for holidays - red, white and blue is the most winning combination.
    Agreed on the vintage swimsuit thing - if I ever bought one I'd be too petrified of getting it actually wet! haha! And there a lots of great repro brands about thats for sure. Have you seen the For Luna ones? They are really nice. I don't own a pair but would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great in your nautical swimsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable outfit, I LOVE the swimsuit. You are right, the stripes at the top and plain at the bottom are so flattering, you look trim and busty at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness you are stunning! That swimsuit is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure gives me that vintage feeling:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the most adorable swimsuit! You look stunning x I'm now following :)

    ReplyDelete